Clinical Dietitian I - Clinical NutritionSan Diego, California
This is a casual, grant funded position with a renewal date of June 30, 2022.
Rady Children’s Hospital San Diego (RCHSD) and the Departments of Neurosciences and Psychiatry at the University of California San Diego (UCSD) are seeking a qualified full-time pediatric dietitian to help expand clinical-translational programs in Developmental Neurosciences under the emerging Neuroscience Institute at RCHSD. The Neuroscience Institute is a priority strategic pillar supporting the larger RCHSD-UCSD Brain Initiative which includes among other subspecialties the Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and the Institute for Brain Biology and Behavioral Health. There are rapidly growing clinical and academic programs straddling both RCHSD and UCSD, focusing on the neurometabolic basis of brain and mental health disorders affecting infants, children, adolescents and young adults. The long-term strategic goals are to transform clinical care (epilepsy and other neurological disorders, as well as targeted psychiatric conditions), research, training, and applicability to general health.
Candidates must have the following qualifications: Registered Dietitian. Minimum of Bachelor of Science in a related field, preferred Masters Degree. Minimum of 1-2 years of clinical experience administering medical diets to pediatric patients in a multi-disciplinary healthcare environment. Familiarity and experience with hospital electronic health records, and standard office software applications are required.
Specifically, candidates must have demonstrated clinical and dietary expertise in the administration of the traditional ketogenic diet (KD) – typically for the medically intractable pediatric epilepsy population, as well as variations of medical diets for other brain and/or mental health disorders. The various dietary interventions include, but are not limited to, the modified KD, the medium-chain triglyceride KD, the modified Atkins diet, and the low-glycemic index therapy. Preference will be given to candidates who have prior clinical research experience in the broad field of ketogenic therapies for medical conditions.
It is expected that the successful candidate will:
- Work successfully and effectively within a multidisciplinary team consisting of pediatric neurologists, child and adolescent psychiatrists, adolescent medicine physicians, other pediatricians, psychologists, social workers, trainees at all levels, and laboratory investigators and clinical study coordinators.
- Create and implement personalized nutrition care plans for both outpatients and inpatients and working within the multidisciplinary team to help assess and manage potential medical complications, co-morbid challenges (e.g., growth retardation, anorexia, eating disorders, etc.), and to provide full nutrition support.
- Provide nutrition education, family-based treatment (FBT) and counseling on appropriate treatment options prior to medical diet initiation and during maintenance phases, and when needed, post medical stabilization to patients and their caregivers.
- Work within a team of dedicated dietitians to cross-train in general inpatient areas and provide regular weekend coverage on a shared basis.
- Engage in clinical studies/trials focused on ketogenic therapies for brain and mental health conditions, and to assist in the preparation of research grants, abstract and poster submission to national and international meetings, and manuscripts for publication.
- Establish pilot dietary clinics with physicians and program leaders for child and adolescent psychiatric conditions.
- Actively participate at both national and international levels on various committees and taskforces charged by various professional societies and organizations, to broadly promote metabolism-based treatments for neurological and psychiatric disorders.
Interested applications must submit a detailed cover letter, an updated resume, a list of three current references with contact information, and a brief personal statement summarizing their own philosophy and experiences fostering equity, diversity and inclusion.
RCHSD and UCSD are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Bachelor's Degree in Nutrition or Dietetics
1 year of experience
Registration with the Commission on Dietetic Registration
NPI number required within 60 days of hire
3 years of experience
Bilingual English and Spanish