Registered Nurse - Pediatric ICU (PICU) / Critical Care (San Diego, CA)
San Diego, California
At Rady Children's Hospital-San Diego, patients can range from premature infants as little as two pounds to teenagers weighing in at over 200. While some conditions and illnesses may mimic those of an adult, many factors beyond the obvious physiological differences can make treating children and adolescents challenging. Certified nurses are specialists who are changing the way critically small and critically ill patients receive care. Your commitment, knowledge, and skill set will be crucial to improving patient outcomes.
Rady Children's offers competitive salaries, robust benefits, generous paid time off, retirement savings with contribution match, employee recognition, Team Rady events and celebrations, along with other great perks. Join us in sunny San Diego!
- Full Time
- Level: Mid
What makes a successful critical care Registered Nurse at Rady Children’s Hospital? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Good listener
It’s amazing to see these children go from weak to vibrant… The nurses who chose to come here are unique because they’re comfortable with these patients and are eager to give it their all… I’ve never worked with a more passionate group of nurses. Each and every one of them truly loves this patient population. They’re so dedicated and do such a great job.– Cheryle Pillow,
RNC-NIC, MSN, CPNP, CVICU Director
Medical, Dental, Vision
403(b) Retirement Plan
Life and Disability Insurance
The Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) seeks motivated individuals with a passion for caring for critically ill children and their families. As a PICU nurse you will experience a compassionate, fast-paced environment, where you can grow your career and learn something new every day. The PICU nurse is responsible for independently applying the nursing process through assessment, planning, implementation, evaluation, and documentation of care based on patient specific age and/or developmental needs. The ideal candidates demonstrate critical thinking, ability to adapt in a rapidly changing patient population, and exceptional communication with patients, families, and colleagues from all disciplines.
Who we are:
- Our 24 bed PICU receives the highest acuity patients from San Diego, Southern Riverside and Imperial counties.
- Our nurses collaborate with a team of physicians, nurse practitioners, respiratory therapists, social work, child life, and pharmacists to provide excellent care to our patients.
- Diagnoses we care for include, but are not limited to: complex medical conditions (respiratory failure, sepsis, and multisystem organ dysfunction), pre and post-operative conditions, multiple trauma, and children needing acute management of chronic illnesses.
- Our PICU has received the Gold level Beacon Award of Excellence in 2018
- Rady Children’s Hospital is ranked in all 10 specialties surveyed by the U.S. News & World Report in its Best Children’s Hospitals ranking for 2018-2019.
- Rady Children’s Hospital is a Magnet designated teaching facility.
- The region’s only designated Level 1 pediatric trauma center.
Functions at the Standard Level of nursing practice. Responsible for independently applying the nursing process through the assessment, planning, implementation, evaluation and documentation of pediatric patient care. Selects and administers the appropriate care, taking into consideration the age, developmental level and size of the patient. Provides a caring relationship that facilitates health and healing. Should be able to identify own limitations and seek resources as needed.
Associate's Degree in Nursing
1 year of experience
Current California RN License
CPR certification (Issued by American Heart Association)
PALS (within 6 months of hire)
Bachelor's Degree in Nursing
3 years of experience
Professional nursing certification
Pediatric nursing experience in a comparable, high-acuity department
Schedule: Rotating, 12-hour shifts
FTE: 0.9 FTE/Full-time benefit eligible
Location: Critical Care/Pediatric ICU (PICU), Hospital - Rose Pavilion
- License Vocational Nurse (Bernardy) San Diego, California
- Sr. Accounting Analyst San Diego, California
- Charge Nurse - Helen Bernardy Center, Sub Acute (San Diego, CA) Per-diem San Diego, California